Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Artist's Statement

At my core lies the concept of blending artistic forms in creating communicative experiences. I have found that though each art form communicates a thought or concept in its own right, it is when diverse forms combine in expressing a common goal that communication reaches new heights. In this harmonious spirit, I am building LaRK Productions, an interdisciplinary art production company that unites artists in communicative installations or events.

As an individual artist, my main form of communication is dance. I find the human form the fundamental creator and communicator, and use the body as my primary material for my art. Themes in my work vary from fantastical narratives to exploring relationships, but always maintain a particular purpose. When choreographing a piece, I am constantly looking for inspiration in music, literature, and my own experiences to add layers to my work.

As a producer with LaRK, I look to present stories and opinions from the perspective of different artists. I join choreographers and graphic artists, writers with fashion designers in producing these interdisciplinary experiences. Additionally, in many LaRK projects, I appeal to the audience to interact or participate with the art to encourage more communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment