Monday, May 20, 2013

Performance Project Final

[Untitled Solo]
Inspired by: Homepage Article of The Onion, Issue 49-03 on January 14, 2013
http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-6-best-dresses-at-the-golden-globes,30897/

For the cumulative project of this class, I wanted to combine both the theoretical/social commentary themes we discussed with the some technological practices we observed. Choreography, being my primary form of art and performance, was the obvious choice, and to challenge myself, I decided to make the piece specifically for video.

This is my first attempt at choreographing for video, and so my movement choices were wider in terms of the angle, proximity, and speed at which they were presented to the audience. It was both challenging and liberating to think beyond the usual box I am used to working in, and I am looking forward to making many more pieces in this format.

As for the content, I was inspired directly by title page article of The Onion newspaper's website the morning after the Golden Globes. The juxtaposition of the obsession with celebrity culture with the Syrian civil war harked to many of our class discussions: celebrity culture, war journalism, photojournalism, social recognition.


No comments:

Post a Comment